Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dune Withdrawals

This past summer I finally bought my dream bike: A blue Yamaha YFZ 450 (piped and jetted). When I found it online, I was shocked at the price. It was a thousand dollars less than other comparable ones I had been looking at. I wondered what was wrong with it. After calling, the man insisted that it was fine and ran great. So I went to see for myself. The drive took over an hour. I remember feeling like I was getting ready for a first date –the emotions of excitement and nervousness simultaneously surging through me. After seeing the bike for myself, I knew it was all I had hoped for and more.

This last summer I was able to ride it on Oregon dunes with my parents and brother. My new ATV was perfect. It was louder and had more power than my old Honda 400EX. I was instantly in love!

 Typically, we take a trip to the sand dunes every three months – Thanksgiving, Spring Break, and summer (August and September). But this Thanksgiving we weren’t able to go. It’s now January and I haven’t ridden my quad since August. 

The withdrawals are becoming more frequent. Recently, I had a short dream that I heard the sound of the revving engine of my brother’s 2-stroke Honda 250R. I woke up feeling such nostalgia that I went and just sat on my ATV and reminisced. Closing my eyes, I could almost feel of the sand beneath my tires. I gripped the handlebars, imagining I was again climbing mountainous hills, taking trails, jumping hills, and riding along the shoreline. Wonderful memories. 

Last week I made pancakes. For some reason, the maple syrup reminded me of the smell of my bike’s exhaust. I breathed in deeply and smiled. 

Recently, I was driving when I accidently took a turn way too fast (50 mph on a 15 mph curve–oops!) The quick thrill and rush of adrenaline reminded me of riding. 

Somehow I’m going to have to get through the withdrawals from now to Spring Break. Until then, well, I guess there’s always chocolate.  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fun. I've never ridden a quad. I bought a 1972 Honda ATC for $300. It's so trashy and way slow and hilarious compared to your spicy quad--ha ha! Sometimes I putz around the acreage where I live with while my dog runs alongside.

    The dunes would be amazing, I imagine. I used to drive regularly to Pacific City to surf couldn't help but notice the many ATV trailers on that road in the warmer months. I've clocked hours on snowmobiles and motocross bikes, three wheelers and even motorized skateboards, but never a quad.

    I hope you get to go roop (Canadian slang for riding snowmobiles) around on your blue quad soon!

    ReplyDelete